Thursday, October 12, 2017

Turning 18

 In a couple of months, Robb will be 18. I never realized what a big deal this is until Robb turned 17, and the lengthy process for the parent's guardianship began. Because Robb will be a legal adult at 18, my parents have to get a lawyer and say why they should get custody over Robb. If they do not, my mom would not be allowed to make appointments for him, sign medical papers for him, or pretty much do anything. My mom once called a doctor to make an appointment, and thinking Robb was eighteen, they said they had to speak with him. Luckily, that mistake was corrected, but it was a reminder of the importance of guardianship. It seems ridiculous to me that this should be an issue. Robb is non-verbal, he has autism and Down Syndrome, and my parents make all decisions for his life. In the world we live in, Robb has to be reliant on my parents, but still getting guardianship takes time and money that could be spent making other important decisions for Robb or just spending time with him. It seems ironic that they love him so much that they must lose time that could be spent with him. However I know my family is on the lucky side of things, my parents can take the steps necessary to ensure their guardianship for Robb's future, and Robb being non-verbal, it will not be hard for them in court. We are also so lucky to live in a country where we can make these decisions and Robb can get help from my parents. I think that situations like these show me what I want to do with my life. I may only be 16, but I think that if I can bring awareness to the situations family of people with special needs face, I will have a life worth living.