Monday, June 4, 2018

Robb's Prom

On Friday, May 18, Robb went to his first Saint Elizabeth's Prom!
      He was not planning on attending--although Robb loves lots of people and music, we were unsure about this setting and the many issues that could arise (not wanting to leave, not wanting to go in, not wanting to wear a suit----and if Robb doesn't want to do something, he won't. I seriously think he would make the best protester in the world).
      However, a girl from his class asked him to go (she had a promposal and everything:)))))), and it turned out to be a huge success!
      When she asked him to go, Robb responded on his device "I would like that" without any prompting, and the night of the prom, he put on the tuxedo without any complaints. Although there was a tree in the corner of the gym which Robb refused to leave, his date was very understanding, and she did dance around him some. Also, despite taking probably over one thousand photos, they ended up getting on that was perfect (needless to say, Robb ran back to return to the tree after the photo taking was over). By the end of the night, my parents were already planning Robb's prom for next year!
      Many people might be reading this thinking my family loved that Robb went to prom because it provided a sense of normalcy: promposal, getting the perfect picture, etc. And I guess on some level the normalcy added to the appeal of Robb going to prom. I do love the idea that Robb has good enough friends at school that they want to hang out with him, and I do like the idea of Robb getting to go have fun at party. However, I think the reason I like these things is because I want Robb to be happy. Hearing about the prom was fun, but the best part for me was seeing pictures of Robb with a big smile on his face or in mid-laugh.




*Also, big shout out to the awesome the Saint Elizabeth staff. Robb's aid was not even working that night, and she stopped by the prom to see him!*