Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Fall Fest 2020

      This year, a group of students from my school returned to Robb's school St. Elizabeth (SES) for their Fall Fest! I started the program as an excuse to surprise Robb and hang out with him, but although this was only the second time we went to help out, over thirty students signed up to volunteer on the trip!
      Fall Fest is a celebration of the end of Robb's Fall Quarter, and SES has tons of fun activities for students throughout the afternoon. Everyone wears costumes, and Ms. Dupree, Robb's one-on-one created coordinated spaghetti and meatball shirts for them to match! Robb even added a little extra flare with cat face-paint. I have to admit I was a little worried about how this would go–Robb has never done face painting before, and he seemed unsure as my friend started creating whiskers. Although the first couple of marks were quickly wiped off, he eventually got whiskers and seemed pleased with his new look!  From there, Robb did the hay-ride and then we danced for almost the entire second half of the afternoon to everything from "Party in the USA" to "Monster Mash."
      The St. Elizabeth trip is the only event with a special education school that my high school has organized, and I am always nervous about how it will go. Many of the students have little to no connection with the disability community, and I know that on most occasions, most students do not feel comfortable dancing their hearts out in front of their peers. However, the positive feedback has been overwhelming! Not often do we get to walk into a community where our job is to make others happy and encourage them, and I am so excited that, even when I graduate, the connection between SES and my school will continue to develop.