Saturday, October 1, 2016

Down Syndrome Awareness Month

          Happy Down Syndrome Awareness Month! Just as a refresher, Down Syndrome occurs when someone has an extra chromosome 21 or part of an one, but Robb in addition to having been born with Down Syndrome, was diagnosed with autism at the age of three. After being diagnosed with autism, my family did not participate in many events for DS awareness because though the community was amazing to be a part of, we were more involved with the autism community. Many of the people Robb went to school with had autism, and most of the people that worked with him were involved in the autism community. We want to be a part of both groups, though, and we are planning to go to more DS awareness events. I am happy to say that my blog will also get to help raise awareness for DS.
          In Baltimore, the Chesapeake Down Syndrome Parent Group has 31 4 21 blog for the month of october with a post written by a member of the Baltimore community about their experiences in the Down Syndrome Community. One of my posts will be a part of this, and I hope that I will be able to help spread awareness about DS and help end the discrimination my brother and many other's face everyday due to their DS. Please subscribe to 31 4 21 here, and have a great October filled with yellow and blue.