Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Buddy Walk 2016

 A couple of weeks ago my family participated in the CDSPG's annual buddy walk in celebration of national Down Syndrome awareness month. We have never really been very involved in the Down Syndrome community because since Robb has autism, he has always been different from many of the people we knew with Down Syndrome. It is a very loving, kind environment, but we found our own groups, and though I can never say I have meet anyone quite like Robb, the people in our groups faced similar communication challenges to Robb. Anyway, this year we decided to give the buddy walk a try, and I can honestly say it was a super fun experience. We all put on matching t-shirts, and walked around the Baltimore inner harbor. Robb was so happy, he got blue and yellow flags to wave around, and he and I danced along to 'Piano Man' one of my favorite songs. Everything was so comfortable, and I did not feel self conscious even though my family must have looked ridiculous in our matching t-shirts. There are not many things my entire family enjoys, and between the free donuts, music, and the ride, my parents, siblings, and I had a lot of fun.