Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Special Olympics 2018

A couple days ago, Robb and I started this Special Olympics Season! This year, my goal is to have Robb swim back and forth in the pool without touching his feet to the ground. Over the years, I have worked up from me swimming right in front of him, to me swimming a few feet in front of him, to me getting out of the pool while he swims from the deep end. He is so close to being completely independent, but unfortunately, the pool has a shallow end and Robb loves to put his feet down as soon as he can which would disqualify him in the competitions. When I start telling him to not put his feet down, he smiles and laughs bouncing on one toe at that perfect height where he has to bounce up and down to keep his head out of the water. Then I get into the water to make sure he keeps his feet up the rest of the way.
          Although I like to give him a hard time, I just love to see the smile on his face when we finish a lap, and I love that he can pretty much remain psyched even when he has been swimming for over an hour. Last practice Robb had me cracking up when he tried to put his hands in the air (his favorite sign to show he is happy) while we were in the deep end, and he laughed as he swam back to the surface. I have to give Robb credit for his sense of humor. Honestly, whatever happens in the following season, as long as every once in a while Robb puts "his hands in the air like he doesn't even care" I will consider this season a success.